YMCA to Manage Community House Pool and Provide Signature Y Aquatics Programs
The YMCA has been a Moorestown-focused organization for a long time – and they are proud of their history. It’s because of this long history that we’re pleased to announce their expanded partnership with The Community House, beginning September 1.
Before we share details, let’s first take a trip back in time. It was 1927 when the Y first became involved with The Community House through the International YMCA Service Club. The club – now called the Y Service Club – still meets weekly at the Mt. Laurel YMCA and serves as a tremendous Y supporter by holding the annual Antique Show fundraiser and awarding scholarships to area youth
The Community House is also where Indian Guides and Princesses – now referred to as Adventure Guides – got their start in the 1920s. In 1976, the Y established its “home base” in the basement of The Community House. Numerous other programs were launched from the location on Main Street and The Community House’s expansive grounds were home to countless outdoor activities and family-friendly events over the years. The Y remained at The Community House until 1991 when we opened what we currently know at the Mt. Laurel YMCA on Centerton Road. Technically speaking, a portion of this facility is located in Moorestown.
This fall, nearly 90 years after our partnership began, the Y will return to its roots with The Community House. Through an exciting new agreement, the Y will complement The Community House’s current services by managing their pool and providing Y aquatics programs like parent-child classes, aquasize and private lessons. Tom Wilkinson’s learn-to-swim program will remain intact. They will continue to rent space to swim teams that currently have arrangements with The Community House. Rental groups, large and small, will be under the supervision of their certified life savers.